My kids were never big fans of sandwiches for their school lunches. I have tried sandwiches as wraps, or kebabs; anything to make it appealing, but they never really took to it. Salad has turned out to be a favorite school lunch in our house and this Sausage Potato Salad is so delicious and healthy, the bonus is that Mom and Dad will want to eat it too!
I used to have a little emergency money on my kids lunch cards at school, but found that made it too easy to call every morning an emergency. When I let the kids be in charge of making their own lunches, providing what they requested, I found they were more willing to eat their lunch. Then, if they had an emergency, they were to use their own money to buy lunch. Funny how there were fewer emergencies and lunches got more creative.
Lunches like these are favorites, because we can make a big batch and divide it into containers and be ready for the week. My high school kids love having their lunch made in advance for the week. They get up in the morning, zombie walk to the fridge and throw their lunch together!
Safeway now has its own brand of organic foods and they have some great healthy back to school lunch ideas. This Sausage Potato Salad would pair well with Apple Fries with Cinnamon Dipping Sauce or DIY Strawberry Lemonade Fruit Leather. You can see how easy it is to make your own fruit leather on Safeway’s Youtube Channel.The first thing that caught my eye in Safeway’s O Organics was the Mushroom and Asiago Chicken Sausage. I sliced mine up and sautéed them over medium until they had a golden brown caramelized crust. The smell was heavenly! I added O Organic red potatos, tomatoes, basil and Italian cheese. With their Olive Oil and minced garlic I mixed up the light vinaigrette that adds amazing flavor without overpowering all these great flavors.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of O Organics. The opinions and text are all mine.
Sausage Potato Salad
- 1 pound baby red potatoes
- 10 ounce container cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 bag Italian Cheese Blend
- 1 package Mushroom Asiago Chicken Sausage sliced into medallions
- 1 container basil
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- Boil potatoes until tender. While potatoes boil, brown sausage medallions in a non stick pan until lightly browned. When potatoes are fork tender, drain and cool.
- While potatoes cool, mix the vinaigrette.
- Combine olive oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Cut cooled potatoes into quarters. add sausage and tomatoes. Pour vinaigrette over all and toss to combine. Top with basil ribbons and cheese.
- May be served room temperature.