What is your favorite baked good? Cakes are not my favorite, but I could eat Chocolate Eclairs everyday! I used to be intimidated about making these but with this recipe, Chocolate Eclairs are now a breeze.
Whenever I have someone over and I make these, they are always so impressed. I have been known to sigh, throw some flour on my face and describe how much time and effort it took me in the kitchen. Luckily my friends know me well enough and we always end up laughing.
These eclairs have a perfect little crunch on the outside, a super creamy filling inside and who can complain about them being dripped in chocolate?
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 5.1 oz package Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chocolate icing
- 2 squares 1 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 TBL butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 TBL hot water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- In a saucepan, combine the butter and water. Melt butter and bring to a rolling boil.
- Reduce heat and mix in flour and salt.
- Mix vigorously until the mixture leaves the side of the pan and forms a stiff ball.
- Remove from heat.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon or pipe dough into 4 x 1/12 inch strips.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 20 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Let cool.
- Combing pudding mix and milk and mix according to package instructions.
- In a separate bowl, whip the whipped cream until soft peaks form.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- Fold into pudding mixture.
- Fill cooled shells. You may have some mixture leftover. I sometimes put this to mix into some fruit for a great fruit salad!
- Chocolate Icing
- Melt chocolate and butter in a sauce over low heat.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add hot water and stir until mixture is smooth and to desired consistency.
- Cool slightly.
- Pour over cooled eclairs.
- Chill until served.
With Easter fast approaching, these Chocolate Eclairs would be a great addition to a Sunday Brunch. Just don’t forget to brush the flour from your face.