Classic Baked Ziti
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti pasta, cooked and drained (Rotini will also work)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 ounces mushroomed, chopped
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 4 cups (32-ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Grease the inside of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to packaged directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onions until transparent. Add the garlic and stir until lightly fragrant. Turn the heat to medium high. Fold in the mushrooms and ground sausage and cook until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain and return to the stove.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, broth, seasonings, salt and pepper to the meat mixture. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup sauce to the cooked noodles. Evenly spread ½ of the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, and 2 cups sauce. Top with remaining pasta, sauce, and cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 25-30 minutes removing the foil the last 10 minutes of baking time.
If you liked this dish, you might also like these other dishes found at Bakerette:
You can also find me across the Web at:
Thank you, Debbie, Sherri, and Tracy for letting me share with you all today! This site rocks!
Thanks Jen for another great recipe. We always look forward to seeing what you have in store for us!