40 hours, 2,400 miles, 7 stops for fast food, 5 stops for gas, and 4 sore tushies = one crazy road trip that was totally worth it. Why would anyone do such a thing? Love. Isn’t it one of the most powerful motivators? Our family felt so blessed to witness the marriage of my niece to her sweetheart just a few days ago. There were so many good things about the trip. But the best was time celebrating with family. Because we love the whole crazy bunch and can never get enough time with them, even if the competition for the bathroom can get kind of fierce. One of our favorite ways to celebrate love in our family is our annual Candlelight Valentine’s Dinner. While the dinner menu changes from year to year (this year we are having Restaurant Steak), the dessert menu is set. Our favorite recipe for Chocolate Caramel Fondue is so easy the kids can do it, needs no special equipment, and will make your heart sing love songs. You can bake it in the oven, or microwave it. All you need is an ovenproof bowl, chocolate chips, caramel candies, evaporated milk and a dash of vanilla. We make ours in our favorite ugly stoneware bowl. We like it because it keeps the fondue warm, but you can always cover a heating pad with tea towel and set it under your fondue bowl to keep it warm. You can even use a pretty bowl if you want to. Honestly, the fondue cooling off is not a big concern, because you are going to eat it all before it gets the chance to cool! Our favorite dippers are pretzels, strawberries, marshmallows, pound cake, bananas, apples and pineapples. Brownie chunks and little bites of cheesecake are pretty good too. So choose your dippers, and invite your loved ones to share a special Chocolate Caramel Fondue treat with you this Valentine’s Day. Because sharing love and chocolate makes for sweet memories!
This Fondue Rocks!
Easy Chocolate Caramel Fondue
- 1 package 14 oz. caramels (about 50)
- 1 can 5 oz. evaporated milk - (This is the LITTLE can. 5 ounce, not 12.)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels Do not use milk chocolate. It does not melt properly in this recipe
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Unwrap caramels and combine with remaining ingredients. Bake at 350° for half an hour. Mix together until mostly smooth. There will be some small yummy bits of caramel that do not melt all the way. Do not worry, these are very tasty.
- Microwave directions: Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 30 second intervals until melted.