Summer is not over yet! I am going to go kicking and screaming into fall (even though it IS my favorite season) because I am not ready for summer to end. I still want to enjoy all the goodies of this season including this
Jello Shave Ice
Is shave ice popular where you live? Here in Utah, you can barely turn a corner without a shave ice hut on it. My personal favorite shave ice hut is Hokulia’s. I have a different shave ice hut near my home and the other day I counted over 40 people in line. It’s a crazy phenomena here.
Now here’s a lesson for you on shave ice. If you know what you are talking about, you will call it “shave ice” and not “shaved ice”. If you call it “shave ice”, it means that you know thats it’s official Hawaiian name. If you call it “shaved ice”, you are showing your haole (pronounced how-lee = non-islander) ignorance!
My daughter is half Tongan and her husband is full Samoan so around our house, we definitely call it “shave ice”!!
Now that you know what to call it, let’s get around to making it. Here we go!
Jello Shave Ice
- 1 6 oz package of Jello or two 3oz pkgs any flavor you desire
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 cups Sprite
- 2-3 drops of Americolor Soft Gel Paste in red blue and purple. Can also use regular food dye color.
- Condensed milk if desired
- With a whisk, mix the dry jello powder into 2 cups boiling water. Mix well so that all the jello powder is dissolved.
- Add four cups of Sprite. Mixture will get foamy but that is normal.
- Add desired number of drops of food color. This is just to get a brighter color of ice.
- Mix well.
- Pour into 9x13 pan and freeze overnight.
- When ready to serve, scoop out of the pan with an ice cream scoop.
- If desired, you can top with some condensed milk.
And for the finale, you can also top your shave ice with some sweetened condensed milk:
Recipe adapted from Fabulessly Frugal
Enjoy the rest of your summer with some Jello Shave Ice!
You can also find us on Pinterest │ Facebook │ Twitter │ Instagram │ StumbleUpon │ Hometalk
Looking for some more “cool” desserts? Check these out!
Strawberry Banana Orange Popsicles
This awesome post has been shared with Home Stories A to Z
Can I use sugar free Jello and diet Sprite to make this?
You know, I was SO tempted to make it with the sugar free jello but wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out. I think the diet Sprite won’t make a difference at all. But I say, hey, try it and see what happens!