Low-Carb Chicken Chipotle Chowder is a diet saver for me. You see, about five and a half years ago I had my thyroid removed because of eight tumors and a couple of cysts… plus some pre-cancerous cells. I don’t get sick often but when I do?
I do it up good.
So, while I make all of these rich, amazing foods for my family on my blog, Restless Chipotle, I don’t actually eat most of it beyond a taste while developing the recipe. When I can find a recipe that is low-carb and my family loves, too? Oh my gosh, I hear angels singing, fireworks fireworking, and the world is a happy place.
This chicken chipotle chowder, my friends, is exactly that kind of recipe. This rich, spicy soup with a chipotle bite and chunks of tender chicken bathing in all of that creamy goodness is perfect for a low-carb lifestyle and, if you don’t tell them, your family will never know that it’s low-carb. Well, if they even get a taste. Full Disclosure, I ate most of this myself and only left enough for the kids to have one cup each.
I found the recipe on A Sweet Life by one of my very favorite bloggers, Carolyn Ketcham. She is brilliant with low-carb recipes. Anyway, I made a couple of insignificant changes but this is mostly as written. I did opt for more chipotle because I love the spicy, smoky kick. You can tweak that whichever way you like — up or down. You know when a recipe has over 1,000 pins it’s a keeper.
If you are following a low-carb lifestyle you have just hit pay-dirt. If you are not on low-carb you need to make this anyway. It is really that amazing.
Low-Carb Chipotle Chicken Chowder
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in chunks
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce minced to a mash
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro optional
- Saute the bacon until it is crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chicken and saute until it is golden on all sides..
- Add the chicken stock, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper -- simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the cream and chipotles and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with the bacon and cilantro if desired.
If you liked this low-carb chipotle chicken chowder you may also like these recipes from my other blog – Lowcarb-ology. Click on the images to go to the recipe!
Catch me on Social Media!
This amazing post can also be found on Whipperberry!