Hey everyone! I’m Amanda from The Chunky Chef, where I believe everyone can cook a great gourmet meal at home! I’m thrilled to be here today, sharing one of my family’s favorite Spring recipes, Mom’s Best Carrot Cake!
For as long as I can remember, my Mom has been making the most delicious carrot cake… I mean this cake is requested for just about every family function. People rave about it, grab another piece, and continue to rave.
I did deviate a little from her recipe in that I made it into a two layer cake and to add some toasted coconut, mainly because I have a *slight* obsession with coconut lol. I also swapped out a little of the oil for some applesauce to make it a touch healthier.
Now I do know that some people prefer some raisins in their carrot cake, or pineapple… so feel free to add a bit of whatever you love to your cake. For me, I grew up on this carrot cake, so I keep to what I’m used to 🙂
I thought this would be a great recipe to share with you all, since it’s coming up on Spring and Easter here soon… but really, this cake is just perfect any time of year. The rich moist cake combined with the lusciously creamy frosting… it’s definitely a year-round cake!
As far as the toppings on the cake, you could go with the toasted coconut like I did, or some crushed walnuts, or even leave it plain.
I really hope you all give this cake a go… I’m sure you’ll LOVE it!
Be sure to stop by my blog The Chunky Chef to check out some more great recipes 🙂
Here are a few of my most popular posts:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups finely grated carrots
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 sticks (1 cup), unsalted butter, softened
- 2 - 8oz bricks of cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bottoms of 2 9" cake pans with parchment paper and spray sides lightly with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and baking soda and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer, add oil, sugar, salt, eggs, and spices and beat well.
- Add in flour mixture and beat to combine.
- Stir in the carrots and nuts.
- Pour into prepared baking pans and bake for about 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Add butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until creamy.
- Add vanilla and salt, beat to combine.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, beating well.
- ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- Spread out coconut in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for several minutes, until very lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Spread frosting over the top of one layer of the cake, then top it with the second layer of cake. Spread frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut around the rim of the top and around the sides of the cake.
- Keep refrigerated until about 30 minutes before serving.