These Pecan Red Velvet Cupcakes are moist and sweet, with a little bit of delicious crunchiness.
Hey, y’all! The lovely folks here at MFP have graciously allowed me to share some of my yummy recipe creations with you, and I couldn’t be more excited. Just like I love baking for others, I love sharing fun recipe ideas with new people! I can be found over at my blog, Thrifty DIY Diva, where I love creating new recipes and sharing my faves from the web, too! Like these Pecan Red Velvet Cupcakes, inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction on my Amazing Recipes Pinterest Board!
You know what I love? Pecans. But I haven’t always loved them, until I had a slice (or two, or five) of some good ole’ Georgia Pecan Pie over the holidays. Where has this been all my life? Here I am, late thirties, and I’m just now tasting this stuff? Crazy, I know.
After that pie, I began wondering what else I’ve been missing that calls for pecans. Apparently, a lot. But since one of my favorite things to do is come up with new recipes, I thought I’d add some pecans to my traditional Red Velvet cupcakes that I make every February.
Would you just look at that frosting? I think I could use it to frost my cinnamon rolls, too. Seriously, it is that good.
The pecans add the perfect crunchiness to these cupcakes, and are even better than the usual sprinkles.
I actually thought these tasted better than my usual chocolate cupcakes. I couldn’t believe it – better than chocolate?!
I know you are anxious to get these in your oven, so let’s get cooking!
Pecan Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour like Bob's Red Mill - at natural grocers or online
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour like Bob's Red Mill - at natural grocers or online
- 1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum like Bob's Red Mill - at natural grocers or online
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 bottle Red Food Coloring
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounce confectioners’ powder sugar
- 2 cups pecans to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin cup tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together cocoa powder, cornstarch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine granulated sugar and oil; blend on medium.
- Pour in the melted chocolate and stir.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In a third bowl, mix the food coloring and vanilla into the buttermilk and stir well.
- Add all ingredients now to the flour mixture and blend on low (do not overbeat).
- Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 up.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Blend the cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy, gradually adding the powder sugar.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag and press a hole through the top of the cupcakes to fill the center and then frost how you wish.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
I just love cupcakes with a creamy center, so before I frosted them, I used a piping bag to poke a hole through the top to inject a little bit of frosting!
See how easy it is to make these Pecan Red Velvet Cupcakes? Give your sprinkles a much needed break and grab a bag of pecans next time you’re at the store 😉
But, before you go, be sure to check some of my other recipes over at Thrifty DIY Diva! I believe that eating well doesn’t have to cost a fortune, and you most certainly don’t have to go out to eat to satisfy your cravings. I love making copycat versions of my favorite restaurants at home, and creating new ones, too! And don’t forget to follow me over at Pinterest and Facebook! Here are just a few of my favorite recipes on the site now: