Hearty, tender, savory carrot corn muffins, slightly sweet and simply satisfying, from ordinary to extraordinary
This is Celeste from The Whole Serving back again this month with a great recipe for you! I absolutely love Carrot Cake and Carrot Cake muffins, but this time around I’m sharing Savory Carrot Corn Muffins, yes I went in the opposite direction from sweet to savory. I used the basic recipe my Mom always used when I was a child to make cornbread, but this time around I replaced the eggs with carbonated water and added shredded carrots. I’ve officially transformed my mother’s basic cornbread recipe into a veganized savory carrot muffin.
There are several ways to replace eggs in recipes and what you use depends on the purpose of the eggs.
If the egg is used in a recipe as a binder to hold the mixture together, a mashed banana or avocado, nut butters or cornstarch can be used, however, when adding fruit it can change the density.
If moisture is the reason for the egg silken tofu, vegetable or fruit puree and a chia, water and baking powder mixture can be used.
If the eggs is a leavening agent in a recipe you can use flax-seed, cider vinegar, coconut milk and baking powder, oil, water and baking powder mixture or carbonated water.
I opted to use carbonated water and a bit more baking powder and baking soda.
They turned out amazing wonderful and was a great companion to a bowl of soup.
- 1½ cups soft whole wheat flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- ¼ cup natural cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup carbonated water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 2½ cups shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin pan with paper liner or cooking oil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Mix together the water and milk and slowly mix into the dry ingredients. Mix until all dry ingredients are wet.
- Fold in the carrots, pour batter into muffin pan filling almost to the top.
- Bake in center of oven for 25 to 3 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or allow to cool before serving.
- Have fun and enjoy!!!
These muffins turned out so tender, slightly sweet and simply delicious. We’re entering into the Holiday baking season, so break away for the ordinary and make this extraordinary Savory Carrot Corn muffin recipe for your family and friends.
If you liked these muffins check out these recipes!