This recipe makes me laugh. There are so many different names for this cookie – like Snowball Cookies, Italian Wedding Cookies, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes and Butterballs but for some reason, our family actually calls them “Moth Ball Cookies”!!
Do people still know what Moth Balls are?
Moth Balls remind me of old Grandmothers.
And this recipe probably IS as old as my Grandmother but it is still one of those goodies that we ALWAYS have to have at Christmas just like my English Toffee!
No matter what you call them, these Snowball Cookies are a classic traditional cookie for the holidays that you will love! Just don’t hang them up in your closet next to your wool coat!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 TBL Water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Cream together butter and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and water.
- Add your dry ingredients including nuts.
- Mix well and form into small balls, approx 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 20 minutes and then roll in powdered sugar.