When I was trying to decide what I wanted to make to share this month I kept thinking of some sort of fresh salad with spring veggies. Perhaps artichokes or asparagus. When I came across a pin from Two Peas and Their Pod for a Quinoa Salad with Asparagus, Peas, Avocados & Lemon Basil Dressing I knew I had to give it a try.
I’m so glad I did! It’s a fantastic, fresh tasting salad that I enjoyed warm and chilled. The lemon basil dressing is delicious and I loved how the creamy avocado contrasts with the crunchy peas and asparagus…and even the little pop you get from the quinoa.
- 2 C. water
- 1 C. quinoa
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small bunch asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tbls. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 C. frozen peas
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¼ C. chopped basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 Tbls. olive oil
- 3 Tbls. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 Tbls. finely chopped basil
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in bowl or dressing jar, whisk or shake well to combine. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan add water, salt and quinoa. Bring to boil and continue to boil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and add asparagus and lemon juice. Quickly sauté to soften asparagus. Add peas and heat through.
- In large bowl, add quinoa, asparagus, peas and avocado. Toss with the vinaigrette. Add basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled.
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
See you next month!
Here’s a few more recipes I think you might enjoy:
This amazing article has been shared with Whipperberry!