Are you ready for a fun recipe for Whoopie Pies? Not just any Whoopie Pies but Watermelon Whoopie Pies as an ice cream sandwich!
Nothing says summer more than watermelon and ice cream. This recipe blends the best of both worlds and is super easy to make. You will be the hit of the barbecue party when you bring out these Watermelon Whoopie Pies. Perfect for a warm summers night.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbl softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1 cup and ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Red, pink and green food coloring
- Vanilla ice cream, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and the vanilla mixing until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add ½ of this flour mixture into the butter mixture. Mix well
- Add ½ of the buttermilk until well incorporated.
- Add the second half of the flour and buttermilk until completely mixed.
- Divide batter into 2 equal portions.
- Stir some red and pink food coloring into the first portion. If you want the color to be more red, then you'll want to add some more red food coloring. We went for more of a lighter pink color
- Stir some green food coloring into the second portion.
- Stir the chocolate chips into the red portion.
- Spoon these two colored mixtures into a pastry bag or sandwich bag.
- Cut the corner on the bag.
- Spray your cookie sheet with non stick spray or you can also use a whoopie pie pan if you have one.
- Pipe out 3" circles of red and green onto the cookie sheet or fill the whoopie pie pan about ½ full.
- Bake at 350F for 9-12 minutes.
- Let cool and then transfer to a rack.
- After completely cool, wrap the pies in a plastic wrap and freeze for about an hour.
- Spread your softened ice cream onto a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Freeze in your freezer until the ice cream is firm again. Up to two hours.
- Cut your rounds with a strong cookie cutter. If your ice cream is too hard, wait a few minutes to softened slightly and try again.
- Remove the whoopie pies from the freezer and assemble together with your ice cream.
- Freeze until ready to eat
Another watermelon themed dessert for you: