There are so many great things about this 4th of July Poke Cake. First is that the red, white and blue colors really stand out and make for a great performance.
Secondly, is that your grandkids will have a ton of fun making this cake with you. What kid wouldn’t want to squirt red and blue into a cake?
And third, it is super easy to make and your grandkids will think you are amazing that you made it for them!
This also isn’t just for a patriotic holiday. It’s perfect for any summer barbecue or backyard party.
- 1 white cake mix
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) cherry gelatin - you will use ½ the package
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) berry blue gelatin - you will use ½ the package
- 1 cup boiling water, divided
- ½ cup cold water, divided
- (8 oz) container whipped topping, thawed
- (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil and until smooth
- Spread evenly into baking dish, bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes
- Combine ½ of the package (about 2 tablespoons) red gelatin and ½ cup boiling water and stir about 2 minutes until dissolved, add ¼ cup cold water and stir to combine
- Using a wooden skewer or large fork, poke holes into cake about every ½ inch
- Combine ½ of the package (about 2 tablespoons) blue gelatin and ½ cup boiling water and stir about 2 minutes until dissolved, add ¼ cup cold water and stir to combine
- Carefully pour gelatin over the cake
- Place in refrigerator at least 3 hours or overnight
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese until smooth
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth
- Fold in whipped topping until smooth
- Spread over cake
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve
- Store leftovers in refrigerator covered with plastic wrap
- Serve with additional whipped topping, sprinkles or fruit
- Pro Tip:
- Add jello to squeeze bottles to make adding the jello to the holes in the cake easier.
Do you still want to poke something? Here’s another poke cake for ya!