Who remembers the sound of the ice cream truck on a warm summer day? Nothing got my friends and I running faster than when we heard that sound. I remember many different kinds of popsicles but the one I loved most was the Bomb Pop and now you can have them anytime with these Bomb Pop Cookies!
In my mind, they were the biggest popsicle and I though I was getting the most from the coins I had begged mom for.
With this Bomb Pop Cookies recipe you can relive your childhood anytime and share that memory with your grandkids while eating them.
They are such a different cookie with the stick in them and kids love making these!
Here’s the recipe. I promise…It’s the “bomb”!
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 & ¾ to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- ½ teaspoon each cherry, raspberry and lemon extract. You can also substitute strawberry extract for the raspberry.
- White chocolatem melts or some white frosting of your choice.
- Popsicles sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg and oil. Beat well
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 and ¾ cups flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Add this dry mixture into the creamed mixture and beat well.
- If needed, add the remaining ¼ cup flour and beat until the dough forms into a ball.
- Divide dough into 3 equal balls of dough.
- Add red food coloring and cherry extract to the ball of dough.
- Add blue food coloring and raspberry extract to ball of dough.
- Add just the lemon extract to the last uncolored section.
- Roll each ball of dough into a 10-in.-long rectangle log.
- Place red, white and blue logs side by side.
- Very lightly, press all the logs together in red, white and blue order.
- Wrap in saran wrap and then chill until firm. I chilled mine for about 30 minutes.
- Unwrap your dough and then cut it crosswise into ¼ inch slices.
- Place each slide about one inch apart on parchment paper on your baking sheets.
- At the end of a strip, lightly press cookies with a fork and then pull down the dough to the end.
- Bake until set about 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes then transfer to a rack.
- Using white chocolate candy melts, melt per package instructions. Spread on the inside of a cookie, insert a stick and place another cookie on the other side.
- Let cool.
- Or use white vanilla frosting to do the same.
These Bomb Pop Cookies are also great for our patriotic holidays. If you are looking another patriotic treat, try these Firecracker Marshmallows.