Hi everyone, it’s Amanda from The Chunky Chef. I’m excited to be here today sharing my recipe for the most insanely flavorful Cajun-Honey Glazed Chicken Bowls! As a busy mom of two, I LOVE easy meals. Most nights, I’m lucky if I can summon up the energy to cook dinner, let alone a long, involved one. That’s why I love meals like this one! The chicken is marinated all day, so you do need to plan ahead a little, but once it’s time to cook the chicken, it’s easy peasy.
One thing that’s unique about this recipe is that you’ll basically be braising the chicken, in the marinade! Just pour the whole contents of the bag right into a large skillet and let the chicken and marinade simmer away. This method is what really makes the “glaze” on this dish amazing… the liquid cooks down and what’s left to coat the chicken is a sticky, finger-lickin’ good glaze.
You can use any veggies that you’d like for this recipe… I chose some red bell pepper, sliced jalapenos and a few orange slices. And of course I garnished with some extra freshness from sliced green onions and parsley. There’s some heat to this meal, but you can customize that to your tastes by using less Cajun seasoning, and/or omitting the sliced jalapenos 🙂
I really like to use this recipe as a great excuse to use up some leftover rice, like perhaps maybe some arroz verde? But it’s also amazing over some fluffy quinoa, or even with no grains for a low-carb option.
Another great way to enjoy this recipe is to grill or saute the chicken as you would for any other recipe, but pour the marinade into a saucepan and simmer it until it boils down into a thicker sauce. Reusing the marinade that had raw chicken in it is okay for both versions since you’re heating it. That will kill any bacteria, rendering it safe to eat 🙂 Once you boil down the marinade, you can brush it over the cooked chicken tenders. This method would be GREAT with kebabs! Just skewer the marinated chicken, peppers, and maybe some onion slices… grill until cooked through and baste with the sauce!
I hope you all give this one a try this season… it’s perfect for the warmer months ahead!
Looking for more great chicken meals? Try these too!
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Popper Chicken Taquitos
Easy Velveted Chicken Stir Fry
Cajun-Honey Glazed Chicken Bowls
- 2 lbs chicken breasts sliced into strips (chicken tenders can be used instead)
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and sliced
- Orange slices cut in half
- Lime wedges for garnish
- 2 green onions sliced, for garnish
- Fresh parsley minced, for garnish
- Cajun Honey Mustard Marinade
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup orange juice fresh is best if possible
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp coarse Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 3/4 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Trim chicken breasts of fat, and slice into strips to resemble chicken tenders.
- Add marinade ingredients to a zip-top plastic bag and whisk to combine. Add chicken to bag, and seal, pressing out any excess air.
- Smoosh the bag around a bit to make sure all the chicken pieces are coated in the marinade.
- Place bag on a plate and refrigerate up to 8 hours.
- Pour entire contents of the bag into a large skillet and heat over MED-HIGH heat until the mixture comes to a bubble. Reduce heat to MED-LOW and simmer, uncovered, for about 25-30 minutes, until most of the liquid cooks off, leaving a loose glaze.
- The last 5 minutes or so, add in the sliced bell pepper, jalapeno and orange slices and let them cook in the glaze.
- Remove chicken, veggies and oranges to a plate.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or as is for a low carb option.
- If desired, garnish with sliced green onions, minced parsley, and a lime wedge.