An old fashioned, but never go out of style, recipe for delicious Chocolate Chip Coconut Date Nut Bars.
Look at the gooey insides of these perfectly baked and delicious chocolate chip coconut date nut bars.
Trust me. I may have eaten a pan full. Ha. Actually, since I’ve been using my secret trick for beating my sugar addiction, I actually stopped at one! Yay me! Can I have a pat on my back, because in the past, I would’ve horded the lot and eaten the whole thing before my family even knew what I had concocted. Yep. I’m selfish like that.
This recipe comes together in less than an hour–in fact, in about 45 minutes. It’s made without eggs and it is dairy free making it the perfect dessert recipe for a plant-based diet.
These date-nut bars were inspired by a recipe I saw in AllRecipes.com that caught my eye because I had leftover dates. However, I made this version egg free and I infused it with coconut, chocolate chips, applesauce, and coconut oil.
These Chocolate Chip Coconut Date-Nut Bars are:
The nice thing about this recipe is it is versatile. If you don’t like coconut, leave it out. If you don’t like chocolate chips, leave those out too. However, I strongly advise to leave the chocolate in because chocolate is the answer to everything! 🙂
xoxo Jen @ Bakerette.com
If you make this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe. Better yet, take a picture of your creation and tag @bakerettejen on Instagram! I’d love to see what you’ve come up with!
Delicous Date-Nut and Brown Sugar Bars
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dates pitted and finely chopped
- 1 cup nondairy chocolate chips optional
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut optional
- Powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, baking powder, dates, and chocolate chips until well combined. Add applesauce and oil and stir until moistened. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with coconut and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick entered in the center of the bars comes out clean. Cool for approximately 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.