Hey guys, it’s Amanda The Chunky Chef again 🙂 Hope everyone has had an awesome March… it’s hard to believe it’s almost over! Last month I shared my Mom’s Carrot Cake recipe (awesome year-round), and today I’m here sharing the BEST kid-friendly Chocolate Chip Muffins. Trust me, you won’t be able to eat just one of these… That is, if your kids will let you have more than one lol.
I love muffins… probably TOO much. But I can’t get over how easy they are to make, and how great they taste! This is a great opportunity to get your kids in the kitchen baking with you too. There’s no mixer required for these muffins. In fact, using a mixer would probably lead to over-mixing, which would make the muffins super tough, and no-one wants that!
The real secret to these is the buttermilk. It makes the muffins SO moist and fluffy! If you don’t have any on hand, use the same amount of regular milk, added to a bowl, and add in a splash of lemon juice or vinegar. Give it a stir and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. There you go…homemade “buttermilk” in a pinch 🙂
Soooooo in case you’re wondering how much the kids will love these muffins… take a look at my two-year-old son. I think it’s safe to say he LOVES them!!!
I think the Chocolate Chip Muffins are a perfect breakfast or even after school snack if you have school-aged children. Plus, there’s nothing like the smell of a freshly baked muffin!
I hope you guys will give this one a try. They’re SO much better than those boxed mixes!
Stop by The Chunky Chef and find some more awesome breakfast recipes… such as:
You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Google +, so follow me if you’d like… I love keeping in touch with all of you 🙂
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray or line with muffin liners and set aside.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to a mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- To another mixing bowl, add eggs and sugars and whisk to combine well. Whisk in buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract until mixture is pale.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix together gently using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Be careful not to overmix.
- Batter will be thick and have lumps.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling the cups all the way up to the top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes, then leave the pan in the oven and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Continue to bake another 13 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (other than possible melted chocolate).
- Let cool in the pan for 5-7 minutes, then remove to a wire cooling rack.
Leave a Reply