These copycat Cosmic Brownies are moist, chewy, dark chocolatey perfection just like the ones at your grocery store.
Hi! I’m Marye, from Restless Chipotle, and it’s that time again — time for me to get to share something I’ve found on Pinterest!
The roughest thing about being a food writer is that people assume my family loves my cooking and in reality they’d rather have boxed mac and cheese. Yes, it’s true. Things like snack cakes are gold to them. I know that even as I sit here writing this my kids are at school, at lunch, trading something wonderful for a Cosmic Brownie.
OK. Cosmic Brownies are good. They are chocolatey, chewy, and pretty. Plus, who can resist something called Cosmic Brownie? Not this Baby Boomer.
So, when I saw this Cosmic Brownie copycat on Averie Cooks I knew I was going to make it. I was going to make it to see if my kids thought it was as good as the real thing. I was going to make it and see if they kept their own lunches.
That was the great thing about homeschooling, by the way. You knew who your kids were trading lunches with — HA!
I made this pretty much as written but I added a layer of chocolate chips to the top of the batter before baking just to give it an extra chocolate kick. I also am not a patient person so I invariably start cutting the brownies and taking pictures before they’ve had a chance to cool. It’s why I’ll never be one of those really awesome food photographers that gets props from Saveur. These are just as messy and gooey as they look — you’re gonna love them.
Copycat Cosmic Brownies
For the Brownies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter 1 1/2 sticks, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips semisweet or dark -- your choice
For the Ganache
- 1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups M & Ms or M & M minis
For the Brownies
- Preaheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix the eggs, both brown and granulated sugar, and vanilla.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the butter.
- Add the cocoa powder and beat until it is smooth.
- Add the flour and blend quickly.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until top has set but is still moist.
- Allow to cool completely.
For the Ganache
- Heat the cream in a microwave save bowl until bubbly.
- Stir in chocolate chips until smooth.
- You may need to microwave another minute or so to get it smooth.
- Spoon the ganache over the cooled brownies, smoothing out.
- Sprinkle with the M &Ms.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours until set if you want them to be pretty.
If you liked these Copycat Cosmic Brownies you might also like these recipes from Restless Chipotle…
Find me on Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram
This awesome post has been shared with Home Stories A to Z and Whipperberry!
Jenni S. says
These look so delicious! I definitely have to try them, as I’m a huge fan of cosmic brownies.
I love them too! We’d love to hear how they turn out for you!