We just bought a new grill. Our old one was so rusty I didn’t want to grill on it. So when we rented a lake house for a week, and the house had a nice grill, I was pretty excited to cook on it. We pretty much grilled everything we ate for dinner. When we got home, our grill looked even worse. So shopping we went! Our new grill is so pretty and I love it so much that I think I should give it a name. But I don’t know what to call it. Got any great ideas? Because I want to write it love letters and I need to know who to address them to.
I have no problems deciding what to cook on the grill. The list is long. And top of the list is Grilled Potatoes Asparagus Basil Parmesan. This is so good we are totally having it again! Even though I forgot to add the basil. You will want to remember it. Fresh basil on this is amazing! We have made this so many times, and guests love it. My sister in law introduced me to this recipe from Sunset Magazine years ago, and we have been making it ever since. In the winter we make it under the broiler. The vinaigrette has a bold flavor that is unforgettable. Combine that with the salty slices of shaved parmesan, fresh basil, soft potatoes and crunchy asparagus and this is an elegant side that really satisfies.
So even if you haven’t got a name for your grill, you are going to want to make this, because…
This Pin Rocks!
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh-ground pepper
- About ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound red thin-skin potatoes, scrubbed
- Cooking oil spray or salad oil
- 1½ pounds asparagus - washed, dried and trimmed
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed, dried
- ⅓ cup shaved parmesan cheese - I used a potato peeler
- Prepare grill for direct heat set on high. Cut potatoes into ¼ slices and place in microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap poked with a few holes and microwave potatoes for about 5 minutes to soften. You don't want to cook them completely, just get the process starting, otherwise it takes forever on the grill!
- Combine ingredients for vinaigrette. Pour over potatoes, and mix until potatoes are covered. Oil the inside of a grill basket and add potatoes, reserving marinade.
- Grill potatoes over medium heat, turning basket often until golden brown (about 5-8 minutes) and soft when pierced with a fork. Remove potatoes to serving platter.
- Add asparagus to reserved marinade, toss to coat. Place asparagus in oiled grill basket. Grill asparagus until soft when pierced with a fork, turning often.
- Add asparagus to potatoes.
- Lay basil leaves on top of one another and roll them up together into a bundle. Slice through in thin slices creating ribbons. (This is called a chiffonade.)
- Top Potatoes and Asparagus with parmesan cheese and basil.
- May be served warm or room temperature.
Need to clean your grill? Here are a great method to get you ready for grilling!
Magic Way to Clean Your GrillYou may also like these great recipes on the grill!
We’re sharing this post with:
Living Well Spending Less