Did you ever think you would search for a recipe for ice box cake? Who says “ice box” any more? Although it is now obviously called a refrigerator, I do remember calling it an ice box. Do you also remember milk delivery and the Helms Bakery truck? Those were the days, weren’t they?
Even though it has an old fashioned name, this Ice Box Cake does not have an old fashioned taste. The fruit that it is packed with makes this recipe fresh and flavorful.
Ice Box Cake
- 3 ½ cups very cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Graham crackers
- 4 cups - fresh fruit - strawberries blueberries, red raspberries and blackberries, or any combination you like
- Place mixing bowl in freezer about 30 min before using to chill
- While mixing bowl is chilling, prepare fruit by cleaning and slicing strawberries
- In a large mixing bowl, beat heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form
- Divide whipping cream mixture into fourths
- Spread a small spoonful of cream on bottom of pan evenly
- Add graham crackers, trim crackers to fit if necessary
- Spread ¼ of the whipping cream mixture on top of the graham crackers
- Add ⅓ of the fruit on top of the whipping cream
- Optional but helpful to level the crackers - Add a small amount of whip cream on top of the fruit to level it.
- Add another layer of graham crackers, pressing down gently into the cream
- Then repeat layers, finishing the cream on top
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- Garnish with additional fruit if you like
- Serve chilled
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator
Any type of fruit can be used on this icebox cake. You can also add instant vanilla pudding in between the layers.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
No matter if you put this dessert in your “icebox” or your “refrigerator”, I doubt it will stay for long. Hope you enjoy!
Grilled Strawberry Cheesecake Sandwich
Strawberry Filled Angel Food Cake
Leave a Reply