We are delighted to have Carole from My Kitchen Escapades return to share her show stopping Italian Chicken Bake!
Last Saturday at 3:30 in the morning, I received the following text from my oldest son, who is in his freshman year at BYU:
“Hey Mom! We got bored and decided to dye my hair.”
Well….a million possible responses ran through my head at that ridiculous hour, but I did the wise thing by rolling over, muttering “just perfect” under my breath, and going back to sleep. If he wasn’t 1200 miles away, I would have smacked him up side that red head.
I finally responded to his text the next morning, after I had attended church. I wanted to be in the proper Christian mind-frame 🙂
My newly styled son would have despised this chicken as much as I despise his hair. You see, my favorite BYU student can not stand artichokes, so I guess that gives us a second good reason for him to be 1200 miles away from home this week 🙂
All the rest of the Jones family (with their normal colored hair), thoroughly loved my latest chicken bake creation! It is so flavorful and makes a fab pan sauce that you can serve over pasta or rice. I love that there are a TON of great Italian goodies in the dish, along with the moist and tender chicken. No skimping on the extras in this recipe!
I have some other killer chicken bakes over on My Kitchen Escapades, so if this Italian Chicken Bake is right up your alley, be sure to click on the pictures below to see some of my other favorites!
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tb oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ C chicken broth
- 1 package Good Seasons Zesty Italian dressing mix
- 14 ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Trim the chicken breasts and use your hand to flatten out the thick end of the breast a bit. Lay them in a 9x13 baking pan that has been lightly greased.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over high heat and then add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until they are softened.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, place the cream cheese and chicken broth. Microwave on high for 1½ minutes and then use a whisk to blend completely. Add the dressing mix, garlic powder, pepper and salt. Mix well. Mix in the cooked onions and mushrooms, along with the artichokes, tomatoes and spinach.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is firm. Add the cheese over the top and place under the broiler to brown the cheese.