Hey y’all! It’s Marye from Restless Chipotle and I’m back to share the best pecan pie recipe ever, Orange Spice Pecan Pie. This time, it’s my own recipe that I developed for my food column in Texas Living Magazine, one of my clients.
First of all, when this pie is baking your house is going to smell like the holidays! Orange and cloves mingle with the pecans and you’ll have all of that traditional pecan goo that everyone loves so much! It’s a fun twist on everyone’s favorite pie and I promise you when you serve this thing people will go nuts — no pun intended.
It took me forever to learn how to make a pecan pie. I am serious — I tried for over a decade to get everything right, but the pies were always too runny or overcooked or something. Do you know how embarrassing it is for a Texas girl like me NOT to be able to make the state pie?
Along the way, I learned some things. First of all, for the really best flavor you’ve got to toast the pecans. Just spread them out on a cookie sheet and stick them in the oven at 350F for about five minutes, stirring them once in awhile. Watch them carefully because they can scorch easily. When your kitchen smells like warm pecans then take them out and let them cool. I like to do a big batch at a time so I always have them ready for recipes.
Anyway, back to the pecan pie part. I finally developed a basic, easy pecan pie recipe that worked for me every time just like clockwork. I use it for the base of all my pecan pie variations — and I have quite a few variations both on my blog and lined up to be on my blog! This Orange Spice Pecan Pie was a huge success on my table and I think it will be on yours, too.
Orange Spice Pecan Pie
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- Zest from one orange
- 1/3 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 9-inch deep dish or 10-inch unbaked pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Toast the pecans for a few minutes in the oven being careful not to scorch them; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs; add the corn syrups, orange juice, and melted butter.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, orange zest, cloves and salt.
- Beat well.
- Add in the pecans.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350F. The middle of the pie will still jiggle slightly.
- Cool for 2 hours.
Here are some more of my favorites from Restless Chipotle :