What kid doesn’t like sprinkles? Especially sprinkles on these Red Velvet Bars!
If you are a fan of red velvet then these Red Velvet Bars are going to make your day. Thick and moist, these are kind of a cross between a cookie and and a red velvet cake. And who can resist the cream cheese frosting?
Make sure to get your sprinkles out because if you are making these with a grandchild, they are going to want to be in charge of the “sprinkling”!
Although these would be great to serve on Valentine’s Day to express your love to your family, they are just as good all year long! Red never truly goes out of style.
So turn on your oven and let’s get cookin’!
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBL (which equals a 1-ounce bottle) red food coloring
- 3⅓ cups flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 bricks of 8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, I use clear vanilla so that it doesn't turn my cream cheese frosting yellow. Clear vanilla will help to keep a nice, white frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and red food dye. Blend until well incorporated.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until well blended into the cream mixture.
- It will look like a "dough"
- Press dough into a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with a cooking spray. I like to line my pan with either aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray with a cooking spray for easy removal.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes or until center is clean after inserting a toothpick.
- Completely cool.
- Blend cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and clear vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Frost on top of cooled bars.
- May refrigerate until serving to firm up the frosting a little bit.
Hope you enjoy!