Have you ever known anyone that doesn’t like watermelon? Well now you do! I don’t really care for watermelon as a fresh fruit. If it is in something like this Watermelon Cupcake Recipe, now that is a different story!
Part of my dislike is the texture but no matter how ripe or how cold a watermelon is, I will pass. My husband thinks I’m crazy.
Things that are flavored with watermelon are great, like slushies and Jolly Ranchers and these cupcakes, but that’s as far as I go.
Even though I’m not a fan of real watermelon, I am glad that I have this Watermelon Cupcake Recipe in my arsenal. It’s the perfect kind of watermelon that even I can’t resist.
Watermelon Cupcake Recipe
- 6 tbsp softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Green food coloring
- Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks of butter unsalted at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp of powdered watermelon koolaid mix
- Red food coloring
- Mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners of your choice. We chose green.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add in the egg whites. Beat well
- Put in the sour cream and vanilla extract then fold into the butter and sugar mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and gently mix to incorporate.
- Add half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix well
- Add the other half of the flour mixture and mix until you cannot see any dry flour.
- Add green food coloring to the color you desire.
- Fill your cupcake liners about 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375º F for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º. Keep the cupcakes in the oven for another 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cupcakes cool.
- Beat the butter and shortening with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add in 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until you do not see any clumps of sugar.
- Add in more powdered sugar, mixing frequently until there are no more lumps and it is a thick consistency.
- Add the watermelon Kool-Aid powder and a small amount of red food coloring (until you reach the color you desire) and mix well.
- Spoon the frostingHow to assemble down into a large piping bag with a tip. We used a 1m piping tip.
- Start in the center of the cupcake and swirl out to the sides and then back in to the center of the cupcake, stacking the frosting as you go
- Sprinkle some mini chocolate chips on top of the frosting.
- Makes 10-12 cupcakes.