Even though spring is officially here, there is still a chill in the air which makes it a perfect time to make this Italian Sausage Soup!
Right now I am packing to fly to Virginia to see my sister Sherri. Debbie is going to meet us there and then we will be off to New York City for a fun trip with our sweet mom! But before I go, I have a super yummy soup recipe for you!
Just yesterday, Sherri let us know to pack warm clothes because it is going to be cold in Virginia AND in New York! One of the places that we are definitely going to visit in New York is Little Italy. Gah! The food! If they have anything like this Italian Sausage Soup, I will be consuming it.
This hearty soup is chock-full of potatoes, spinach, cream and sausage. It’s the kind of meal that will keep you full and satisfied for hours! Thank you Chung-ah from Damn Delicious for the awesome recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a large saucepan or stockpot heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add and cook Italian sausage until browned, around 3-5 minutes.
- Make sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks.
- Drain off all excess fat, season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Add garlic, onion, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes.
- Cook and stir frequently until onions become translucent, about 2-3 minutes, season again with pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, cook until tender, around 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt 2-3 minutes. Mix in the heavy cream until it is heated through, season with pepper and salt if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Three more great soup recipes!
You can also find Made From Pinterest on: